The third annual #LeadingTheCharge road trip is mere days away from kick-off. This is the single largest and longest engagement/activity that the Trust we started in 2014 does in the calendar year.
Once a year, now in early Autumn, we pack our bags and pile into our EVs and drive from town to town/province to province. We go from one end of this beautiful island nation to the other, and we stop so I can SQUEEZE EVERYONE and tell them how deeply and importantly I adore them (because telling people in person is always more special than saying it over the Internets) and after we play with all the people, we retire to our hotel for “quiet drinks” with the team. It really is the most magical time of the year.
So, every year I think to myself, that we need to have an unofficial theme song. Something we can have playing over the dinky little PA system I bought for the very first road trip. Something that clearly captures the culture of our community. Something, probably with the word electric in it.
So this year, I am putting it to the community to choose an unofficial theme song for the 2017 road trip.
I’ve chose five songs that could fit the bill, and am very open to further suggestions.
I’ll list the songs and make s short case for each.
Here we go!
- Eddie Grant – Electric Avenue
- They Might Be Giants – Electric Car
- Oasis – She’s Electric
- MGMT – Electric Feel
- Queen – We Are The Champions
1) So let us begin a the top of the list. What can I say about Eddie Grant? This is a fun, lovely, perky song from the early 80’s and has just enough political undertones to pack a bit of a punch in an election year. I really do want to rock down to Electric Avenue… because doing so will FULLY take us all higher.
2) Well… Seriously. Best Electric Car song (only, electric car song) EVER. This is my favourite.
3) Oasis is truly not my favourite, but this song is cheeky, and fun and interesting and about a quirky girl. I think we are all pretty quirky so that’s how this made it to the list.
4) It is just a good song to bop to. My kids love MGMT so I thought I’d put the fact I am a prolific breeder to good use by suggesting something from their generation.
5) WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS! This is a great song and the volunteers and supporters have always been called champions BECAUSE THEY ARE!
So have a listen to these five songs and think about which will be the best Theme Music for the trip we are about to take. I can guarantee whatever you choose will be playing when you come out to see us at any of the stops along the way.
Here’s a selection of pictures from events over the past few years. Have a look and see if you can spot yourself!
Thanks for reading, and remember to vote.